8.21.2009

Trailer WATCH! 00001

Have you seen the teaser trailer for James Cameron's Avatar yet? Check it out here, exclusive on Apple Trailers. Ooh, exclusive. Must be good, right? I'unno, what do you think?

My first impressions are the same as my first impressions toward Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace, only with a decade of sci-fi CGI schlockfest cynicism slopped on top of them. On second viewing, the quality of the effects shines through (now that you can actually kind of tell what the hell is going on). Avatar is apparently a movie about blue cat people who fight giant forest creatures and launch assaults on mountain fortresses as assisted by armed human Starship Trooper gunships. I'm surprised that Cameron chose another formulaic topic for his latest movie, but what can you say, the guy loves cat people.

Seriously though, is this what anyone expected? After re-watching a few of the effects shots, I'm already convinced the movie will look incredible in 3-D, so that's enough to guarantee my ticket price. That is, unless the movie is full of long boring dialog sequences inside the Galactic Senate.

TRAILER WATCH #1 of TEN THOUSAND

The Film: Legion

The Premise: Angels fight Dennis Quaid for the coveted "Most Ridiculous Premise" Oscar.



First Reaction: This is the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever seen in my life.

Second Look: It's like a b-movie script got funded, big time. As if Dennis Quaid hasn't squandered his credibility enough with this month's GI JOE he's practically defecating on the dregs of it here. God is evil and is sending angels to kill all humans. Humans use guns to stop them. I guess Sam Raimi could have made it work...

Release Date: January 2nd, 2010


The Film: The Fantastic Mr. Fox

The Premise: It's a heist movie with stop-motion animals and Wes Anderson aesthetics! Prepare to squeal with glee or vomit uncontrollably!



First Reaction: I think I would like this more if the animation wasn't so creepy. Or maybe if the animals spoke in German and the movie was subtitled.

Second Look: I'm just hoping that the movie is funny and clever enough to make up for its smugness. I'm a big Wes Anderson fan from way back, but even as a defender Life Aquatic felt overbearing and Darjeeling felt unfinished. I want the real deal, Rushmore, Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, something that feels full, touching and complete. This seems to be a move in the opposite direction for Anderson, that scary George Lucas-y direction. Once Wes Anderson converts all real actors into his paper-mache living dolls he'll be able to release Rushmore: Special Edition like he's always wanted, secretly all along! (Note: Jason Schwartzman's character was originally supposed to be played by a Wookiee.)


The Film: Where the Wild Things Are

The Premise: Some spoiled little bastard goes to magic land because he wouldn't eat his vegetables and take it like a man!



First Reaction: ...sob...so beautiful...

Second Look: I'm a really big fan of Spike Jonze and I think this stands to be a new classic if he handles it properly. Early buzz is that the movie is a lot darker than the studio was expecting, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Jonze has a twisted but honest perspective on humanity, and I think it could masterfully come to light here.


The Film: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

The Premise: Japan. Enough said.



First Reaction: I think Racer X is secretly Speed's brother.

Second Look: Miyazaki has a way of creating strangely compelling animated features. This looks like a trippier version of Spirited Away and I am okay with that. In fact, I think this might be playing at the Grove, so hopefully by the next time I write an entry, I'll have the full review for you.



1 Comments:

Blogger Humblest Person Know said...

Fantastic Mr. Fox!! I love Wes Anderson, i actually saw him in the city once. ive been a fan for a while except Darjeeling, rather disappointing. but this one looks great. When I glee too much I vomit. So it's a win-win situation.

5:01 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Be real. But don't be an asshole.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home